July 30, 2014

What to do if doctors fail to diagnose your cancer

Three years ago, one in six NHS patients were misdiagnosed by their GPs and NHS hospitals. While medicine can be an inexact science, misdiagnosis can be an extremely dangerous and ultimately destructive mistake.

Misdiagnosis mostly occurs when the doctor fails to pick up on certain symptoms of the disease or condition you are actually suffering from. While major misdiagnoses are widely reported in the news, small, unreported ones can have equally devastating effects.

If you’ve been misdiagnosed, there are certain legal avenues that you should take. This article has been written to advise you on what they are.

Don’t be afraid to question your doctor

It can be very intimidating, challenging someone who may have been practising medicine all his or her life. However, your health and well-being is not something to be trifled with. If you go with your instincts and feel that something is wrong, you should do something.

Talk to your doctor, and tell him or her your concerns. This will be important if you choose to use medical negligence solicitors later on. If they stick by their diagnosis, you’ll want to seek out a different doctor for a second opinion.

Getting a second opinion

Inform your doctor politely that you may want to see another doctor about getting a second opinion. However, it’s fine if you don’t want to inform them of your decision.

When your second doctor corroborates your first doctor’s diagnosis, then you can have some peace of mind about the whole affair. However, if they give you a different diagnosis, then you have cause to feel hard done by.

All of this may seem like a hassle to go through with. But it must be borne in mind that it is your health, after all, and it is worth stirring things up over it. Getting things like asbestos compensation is good, of course – but essentially, it’s not enough. You need to get the right treatment.

Legal avenues for medical negligence

Of course, if the damage has been done, physically and mentally, the right course of action to take would be to go to a solicitor, with all the evidence of your mistreatment as a result of your misdiagnosis.

You’ll most likely want to try out the official channels of complaint first, to see what they can do for you. If all else fails with them, it’ll be time to consult a solicitor.


At the end of the day, rooting out malpractice and misdiagnosing doctors isn’t just for your own personal satisfaction; it’s for the greater good. By identifying problems like this in our healthcare system, you are helping others.

Don’t ever feel like you’re wasting people’s time with a venture like this. You’re doing the responsible thing.

Speak Your Mind